It is impossible to lead others with any longevity or excellence without first leading yourself.
Influence from a title will only last so long.
People will not follow leaders who do not lead themselves.
What does that mean? It means that whatever you expect of your team you must first expect of yourself.
Sadly, it’s something that is difficult for many leaders today. Why? I think it has to do with positional power. Perks usually lead to complacency and complacency leads to self-absorbed leadership.
To avoid these trappings, I must lead myself first and do so by:
- Keeping the proper mindset – attitude, perspective, positivity
- Maintaining inner health – spiritual maturity leads to personal maturity
- Staying focused on our mission – vision with action
- Developing personal health – working out helps everyone
- Eliminating personal blights – character affects everything
- Addressing blind spots – ask someone to help
My desire is to awaken leaders throughout the world to help them transform their style of leadership to becoming responsive, empowering, liberating leaders.
That can only happen if I lead myself first.