For Goodness Sake, Stop Assuming!
As I look back at my journey, it’s amazing to me how many leadership failures came from poor assumptions. Success, greatness, breakthrough, liberation and overall peace are all at risk when we assume.
So here are 20 things you should not assume in the future, in no particular order:
- Don’t assume it’s a simple task and others should just “get it.”
- Don’t assume asking for help will harm your credibility.
- Don’t assume gossip is accurate! Better yet, just stay away from gossip. (Tweet This)
- Don’t assume if they read this book, they will change.
- Don’t assume they don’t feel entitled to all that you give.
- Don’t assume your awards, your numbers and your things prove you are a great leader.
- Don’t assume everyone will love you if your plan succeeds.
- Don’t assume your idea will motivate others if you haven’t taken the time to know them.
- Don’t assume they won’t value your view or opinion.
- Don’t assume their annoying behavior will go away on its own.
- Don’t assume they are ready to jump on your objective without a “good morning” and cup of coffee first.
- Don’t assume their intent based on their Facebook post.
- Don’t assume your family sees how much you love them based on how hard you work.
- Don’t assume your kids love it just because you do.
- Don’t assume they’ll just say no.
- Don’t assume your vote doesn’t matter.
- Don’t assume they won’t embrace the card, the letter or the apology.
- Don’t assume things will never change.
- Don’t assume you can’t start over.
- Don’t assume you’re in good health.
Oh, there’s one more.
If you just skimmed this and assumed none of them pertain to you, you better read it again.
Wishing you all the best!